Sunday, May 1, 2011

Theater and Church

THE QUESTION:
WHY am I not satisfied with just church or just theater, especially being a part of such a theatrical church? Should not my artistic bug be satisfied by the Church or my faith be satisfied by the act of creation? Why do I need both and not just one?

To me, Theology and Theater have always been circles of a ven diagram:
Church is not Theater and Theater is not Church, but they significantly overlap. "Ritualistic Theater" (a la Richard Schechner) is almost no different than religious practice, and the theatricality of some churches seems more fit for the stage than for the arena of worship. In fact, in San Francisco there are Stagehand Union calls for Church events.

Theatrics (the vestments, the scripted movements, the smell of incense) drew me into the Orthodox Church, yet I am now looking to places outside the church for theatrical stimulation. At times I feel guilty, like the Church isn't good enough or the church isn't fully satisfying. But I am coming to realize they are meant for very different things.

Theater exalts the work of the individual creator, allowing an artist to rise to significance out of a sea of other artists, or maybe just people. Art allows a man (or woman) to contribute his unique voice to society. His way of seeing. Around this individual artist or around a body of like-minded artists, a community forms, where meaningful discussion can occur around the "whys" of things.

Church exalts the ultimate Creator, and asks the individual artist to forget himself to become part of the cosmic family of Christ. The Church asks the man to leave his personal "way of seeing" behind, and submit his heart to wisdom earned over hundreds of years. One joins the Church not so much because the Church conforms to his or her views, so much as a man or woman conforms to the views of the Church.

Perhaps my confusion comes from creating the Redemption History Series in college. For me, during that time, Theater and Church were more the same than they were different. I was seeking to find Church in the Theater, but in the end, could only construct a liturgy of my own imagination. In Ven circles, Redemption History probably looked like this to me:
There were many essential pieces: community, themes centered around Christ and the Church, the joint declaration of working for "God's glory," and consistent prayer life.

I'm pleased that the circles are separating once again, encouraging me to see one in light of the other.

1 comment:

  1. The Church, on some level, is outside the world completely. When you enter it, you enter an eternal space, a convergence between the human and the divine. It's easy to find God in the church because all of the theatricality of it is there for that specific reason. But finding God in the world is harder, which is why it's essential for their to be "God-centered" theater (and art in general). It's a way of recognizing that the world has already been transfigured by Christ's Incarnation. We're just too blind to see it sometimes.

    ReplyDelete