Thursday, January 1, 2009

Ab Initio

In the haze of a jetlagged stumble into a Raphael House room: I begin...

...a New Year:


The first year to start away from family, I'm staring down the barrel of the growing-up gun that says, "You're on your own, kid." But I smile back, because I'm not on my own. I am surrounded by people who want only the Kingdom's work to be done, and are willing to simply walk in faith to see it done. The 15 or so staff of the Raphael House are a constant reminder that we are here to serve, here to give ourselves away.

God, help me give myself away. This year...

I will write more. Stamps will be my ever coming and going friends.
I will visit old folks homes. I will ask questions. I will honor their lives.
I will read more - to learn, to encounter, to engage, to go DEEP
I will donate: time, clothes, money, energy, passion, blood
I will pour out mySelf in prayer, in service, in love

How perfectly mysterious that the spark of Hope, of new beginnings, and longing for God's best should come in the quietest, coldest moments of winter.

This promises to be a full, hard, wonderful, important year for
our families
our close friends
our neighbors
our country.
And things will get worse before they get better.


My pledge for the coming months is to strap on the Battle Gear to fight with weapons of Love Lived Out. I will invoke the Guardian of Peace and the Song of Jubilee, for I am going about Kingdom work. Now... and until my breath gives out.

-ZL
2009

Magno Cum Gaudio
Provehito In Altum

"with great joy, launch forward into the deep"

1 comment:

  1. I saw your status on facebook today. and was pleasantly surprised. so wonderful to hear your thoughts, or rather read them. peace

    ReplyDelete