Friday, January 2, 2009

Day 2

...of the New Year.

"I can't believe it's 2009." How many times have I heard that already? And how many times have I already said it? So, yes, it's here. And the way that I know it's here is particularly cool:

I started working as an Assistant Director at the Magic Theatre today.

The 9:30AM San Francisco mist followed me to the doors of Fort Mason, Warehouse D, Magic Theatre Conference Room. There, in my new poofy blue Michigan jacket still dripping from the morning walk, I sat down beside Robert O' Hara, superb New York director, and exchanged greeting smiles with at least ten production staff. All the departments that got lumped together in Westmont's small world were neatly broken apart here: Costume Designer, Set Designer, Lighting Designer, Technical Director, Production Manager, Production Manager's Assitant, Stage Manager, Costume Assistant, Leiason to the Theatre, Director, Dramaturge, and not least of all - well, no, actually least of all - Assistant Director. Or Assistant to the Director. Time will tell which of these roles I will actually end up playing.

So yes. My first professional theatre meeting. Now I just have to figure out how to get paid.

The real fun, though, came just after lunch today when all the actors (Tough Titty - yes that is the name of this play - has a cast of seven). They did a read through of the full play, then we (by now it's the core production staff and the actors) broke it down scene by scene. The last three hours of today were - I have to say it - simply magic. The cast unlocked the play by breaking open their own hearts: "This moment reminds me of my grandfather who would..." "This is dead-on for my experience as a black woman..." "Ah, she just gets it here when she talks about her friend; I mean I had that same experience..." The openness and vulnerability of today's talk about the play felt strangely like... church. Hm.

A brief note: "Tough Titty" is about an African American woman who battles breast cancer and its crazy effects on her life. And no... it's not "Wit," that super-tear-jerking play that leaves everybody thinking "Oh my GOSH, that's horrible, and I'm so glad I don't have breast cancer." The feeling of this play is much lighter: it's a wild ride of words, feelings that don't always make sense, relationships that have to continue through cancer, and what it means to live with a condition. Angela - the main character - is full of life. Oh, yes, and this is a semi-autobiographical work of a woman named Oni Faida Lampley. She passed just a few months ago.

I am so thankful for tonight. After a long day of work on this lovely play, I walked to Cora's house for a wonderful dinner, then home to this house of Peace. The Raphael House. I am honored and delighted every time I open the door to "my" little room. God's presence hovers over, in, throughout this house. It is a haven.

Lord Jesus, thank you for this House. Thank you for the Magic Theatre. Thank you for this life. I am blessed beyond measure.

No comments:

Post a Comment