Tuesday, January 6, 2009

San Francisco is Magic

Ladies and Gents,

I owe you the deepest of apologies. I have been railing for days now about how I only have amorphous "READERS" and no co-story-livers, and, idiot that I am, found out yesterday night that y'all had been commenting the whole time. And SO! My humblest groveling. This is what I have to say to you:

SUZY!!! Not only do you win the prize for being -The First- to comment on my blog, Ever, you also get the "wow she's awesome" award for, ummm..... telling me to 'peace' out in a way that made me imagine you in a sideways ball cap with ghetto, frown-but-hard-core lips and a peace sign in front of the camera. I also owe you a phone call. :)
Mr. Hayward... You are a pillar of erudition, my friend. I hope and expect that our conversations become, well, more erudite. I'll do my best on the Orthodox end if you boost my American History knowledge. Mwa ha ha. Here's to post-Mont learning.
Lynne: Victorian England indeed! I had that planned all along. I have three things to say to you: 1) I'm excited to write about the two topics you asked me to write about 2) your blog is amazingly well bloggericized, as in, I want you to give me LESSONS in how to make my blog as aesthetically super-cool as yours and 3) I invite, hope, and anticipate your inclusion in the 'followers' section of my blog. ..............You have three days.
Ms. White: your commenting skills rank is....... no.
Kellie: your words are... WOW. I know I tell you this a bunch, but here's a public hoot and holler (you should read that as though I'm in full cowboy regalia: Stetson hat and Justin boots, horse behind me) Daaaamn, wumin! Ya kin write dam dang wurds now purty well i gotta say! (Oh, yes, and on a slightly more serious note, I really, really love your comments on my theology/spiritual writing/heart travails. They tend to make the cloudier things clear. So thanks.)
KELSEY QUINLAN?! I almost fell off my chair. You read my blog? (to be spoken with an ascending trill reaching the falsetto, which, of course, brings with it a single tear) I'm honored.


NOW...... while we're being personal.........


Michael Conrad the Second??? WHERE are YOU???
And less loudly, but with eyebrows raised, FAMILY??? ANYONE???


Ah hem...


After a deep sigh, a hearty laugh, and a 'hmmmmm' that begins the thoughts of the day, I continue:

Church was wonderful. My goal is to write an entry on Orthodoxy by the end of this week. And oh, what an entry it will be. Orthodoxy is affecting me; I'd love to take y'all along for the ride.

Tough Titty continues to be wonderful. We began blocking today. Line of the day: [to God] "And in the name of Saint Francis the Sissy, please bless my dog Sloopy, even though she's just a dog, and please don't let her die before me, ok?"

Saphrony's theology (remember this is the book I'm reading?) is beautiful. Just beautiful. In a carefully systematic way, he shows us how Jesus makes God known by the willful emptying of himself, the pouring out, the kenosis, even in abandonment on the cross. And we can enter into this divine love by pouring ourselves out. We can, in the emptying of ourselves and complete concern for the other people in our lives, begin to know God experientially. (I hope I didn't lose y'all with that statement.) Basically, this man has gotten me excited to pour myself out, because that is the path of Christ.

Friends, (for I now thankfully know to whom I write)
May Christ be with you tonight and always. May the Spirit send His blessed Peace to your Hearts. With love. Always.

-ZL

8 comments:

  1. I gotta say, this is a true at heart Pasadena/Santa Barbara girl that never in her wildest imagination thought that ANYONE (aside from the few that have seen me in this actual pose) thought of ME as a gangsta in a sideways baseball cap with a hardcore expression and a peace sign.

    so, for posterity sake, look for that pic in the future. I will wear the dodger cap that I wore the night I got hit in the head with a ball. and, maybe do a little rap. just for you.

    And, because I failed miserably at answering your question from the last entry, I will answer now:
    1. I think it's great that you are writing. and I think you should write about you and whatever plagues your hear that day. The best writers offer a glimpse into their own life in a way that makes you feel a part of it. make me feel a part of it, even when I am 400 miles away. (and maybe closer soon.)
    2. While I would love to invite you read my blog. you can't. mostly because I am a part of a secret society, and that is what the blog is for, keeping in touch with other members of this secret, (or not so secret?) society. and because it's for girls only, and you are not a girl. sorry.

    and i think that is all. this comment is quite long at this point. so I will wrap it up by saying: CALL ME
    i have things to say. and I am sure you have things to say as well, and while the internet is a great way to keep in touch, too much blogging is to akin to a scene out of Gossip Girl or something.
    an I am a big fan of tradition, and more traditional ways of communication.

    so, this snow white pasadena gangsta says with furrowed brow and tough set lip: peace

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I have to say is that this blog forced me to look up the word "erudition".

    I look forward to future conversations...as far as primers on American history, I will recommend a few in my next blog entry...:o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dear boy.
    If you continue to speak to me with the words of men who enjoy songs about losing dogs, wives, trucks, and tractors, and who enjoy the ugly twang of that God-forsaken-instrument-the-banjo, I will be forced to gag myself to death on a stirrup while rattlesnakes stab my eyes out.

    At the same time, you KNOW your shout-out made my day. You've done a thing or two yourself to make my skies a little less cloud and a little more blue.

    *hug

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. I never begged YOU for a comment ....

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S.S. Kelsey Quinlain reads your blog???? I wonder if she reads mine ... I should harass her

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1) You better be.

    2) I would be happy to give you lessons, however, it is much easier to do in person or perhaps even over Skype. A little known fact about moi is that I taught myself HTML in junior high, which makes editing blogspot easy for me. And if you haven't been to my portfolio website you should go do that and oooh and aaaah over it because I wrote the whole damn design myself.

    3) Nothing like an ultimatum from the man himself to inspire action.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lynne, same little-known fact!

    And Z, I'd rather comment in person :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mr. Landrum, I'll make a deal with you: I'll read your blog, you read mine. Also, the way you talk about the city by the bay has a peaceful and restorative element to it. Thank you. Ok, let's be friends.

    Oh, and Suzy- I'm a girl, can I read your blog?

    ReplyDelete