Wednesday, March 25, 2009

ANNOUCEMENT!!! You're the one to bear the One.

Such were the words of Gabriel to a girl just out of middle school.

And she, two years younger than my sister Charity, said with a fearfully exuberant gleam in her eye, "May it be to me as you have said."

Then she grew up with her kid Jesus, and by the time she was my age, Jesus is almost ten! I couldn't imagine what it'd be like to have charge of a ten year old at this time in my life, especially because that means that I would have been raising a child for the last ten years. What happens to grad school, theatre, college, high school? I don't care if he is the Son of God, I still don't know how I would have done.

And this also strikes me: she's only forty-seven when she watches her son get crucified.

Wow. Most of the 'adults' in my life are older than that now.

Today's the feast day of the Annunciation. The moment when it all starts. God decides to step in, to pick up the mantle of flesh, so he sends an archangel to a little girl.

3 comments:

  1. It all sounds so simple...but it's also simply beautiful and perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can barely handle having charge of a one year old for half a day. let alone being the full time care-giver of and extra special child.
    I think God chose the right woman for the job

    ReplyDelete