Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Re: Your Re:'s

May I just say: It's Good to be back.

Tonight, I figured it'd be nice to bounce back on some things that were said in the comments section of yesterday's blog. I begin with, ahem,

Kellie: You are too kind. And... you get the prize for an almost-instantaneous comment/question. Not sure what that is yet, but when I figure it out, I'll letchya know. Oh ya, I'm meeting with Father John tomorrow (two times in a week!), so I'll be sure to ask about the Orthodox vs. Catholic crossing. A thing of little importance seemingly, but no thing is a little thing in this Church. I'll ask. Aaannnnd.... Your chipmunk story is phenomenal. I laughed all morning.

Casey: I have indeed read Michael Chekhov's book and IT IS AMAZING!!! Ian, a 40-something quirky-but-cool cat at church - he's an actor and I think we're gonna do some performance together fairly soon - told me an interesting Michael Chekhov story. Turns out, Chekhov's a pretty devout Orthodox churchman who at one point visited the Elders of Optina (near-clairvoyant monks in 19th and early 20th century Russia who are renowned for their spiritual counsel) and experienced some kind of time-warp miracle there. The way I understand it, he had to catch a train that had already left or was about to leave and he had many miles to walk before getting to the train station. When he left with the prayers of the monks, he arrived and the train miraculously hadn't left. And no, it wasn't just a late train, because that's what I'd be thinking if I was you; the specifics are still a little hazy and I'm doing some more research. I guess at the moment, you can chaulk it up to one of those crazy not-quite-sure stories. Still, cool that he's got a miracle story. And Awesome that Michael Chekhov was Orthodox (I mean, it makes sense, he did live in Russia). Furthermore, I think it's an interesting side note to ponder whether his brilliant theatrical innovation of psychological gesture as a means of internalizing character was born out of his life-experience of crossing himself, prostrating in Church, and pilgriming to various holy sites. Just a ponderance. Great to hear about your continuing theatrical pursuits, as well, Mr. Caldwell. This "Fear Project" is, I must say, rather intriguing. Please do keep us posted.

Johnathan: First of all, your blog is a warm log fire in a comfy living room chair. I love your plodding prose and humble spirit as it blossoms forth in your language. Just excellent. I think your comment on my last entry is right on about deeper meaning coming from outward manifestations like raising of hands, and I do certainly hear your concern about making something like crossing oneself a rote, empty gesture. An empty spirit with a cross drawn over it is still an empty spirit. In my experience, however, the gesture is itself the genesis of the meaning. Quite unlike hand-raising which for me usually comes when I'm having an emotional experience, crossing myself is more like blocked action in a stage play. A director sets the actions so that an actor can fill the gestures with meaning and purpose. The actor uses the gesture to generate an internal feeling rather than vice-versa. So too with the gesture of crossing oneself. One other example comes to mind for me: during Lent in the Orthodox tradition, there are set times in the service that the whole congregation prostrates towards the alter. I, of course, new to this whole thing, did the prostrations because they were part of the service. But in this knees tucked, forehead to the floor position, I began to feel humility. I was conscious of my body and how my clothes no longer fit, the people around me doing the same humble act, and perhaps most importantly focused my worship on Christ. I thought, "This must be what it feels like in the court of a king, bowing when he arrives or when he stands up in his throne." What a cool heart-development from a simple action. So like I said, I completely hear your reservations about "going through motions" because believe me, I've done that too. I mean only to highlight that there is another side, a generative side, to motions themselves that cannot be underestimated.

To you three especially, good night and thank you for your writerly interest. To all others that read and are blessed, thanks for taking the public-letter ride.

For the Glory of our Hope, Jesus Christ, Amen.

4 comments:

  1. I miss the gestures. I miss the liturgical calendar. I think that when I move to Valencia, I'm going to try to find at least an Episcopal church. I still want to come visit you, I hope to make that work sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the explanation, Zak...that does make sense. and I'm glad that my blog provides you with some enjoyment and warmth...:o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zak, you are a wonderful man.

    Speaking of clairvoyant monks, there is a fascinating documentary called "Into Great Silence" about the Carthusian monks of the Grand Chartreuse monastery in France, who take a vow of complete silence except for ritual songs and a few key ceremonies. But instead of creating a sort of factual documentary, "explaining" who the monks are and why they do what they do, the filmmaker instead immersed himself in the life of the monastery, and his camera merely follows and observes, in silent meditation. I've watched only the first few minutes and haven't had a chance to finish it, but it's really an incredible film. It in itself is almost a meditative experience. I think you'd like it.

    And speaking of Chekhov, there's a wonderful set of DVDs put out by the Chekhov Institute in New York, called "Master classes in the Michael Chekhov technique", that is a very practical and fascinating introduction to his technique. It itself is quite expensive (upwards of $100!) but you can find it at the library if you try hard. It will provide the basis for our studies in the next few weeks.

    And speaking of The Fear Project, I'd love to interview you, if you've got any stories you'd like to share. I need to call you anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wasn't asking because it's important, I was simply suuuper curious.

    It's about time you started blogging again.

    And I shut the door when I went to bed last night, just in case I get critters larger than Munks.

    Monks? Bizarre.

    I love prizes. I think it came in the form of the letter on my desk when I walked into school this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete