Saturday, February 19, 2011

Festal Friday

Today I'm letting go of the need to be "important" or "right" and especially "mysterious." I'm shooting for interesting.


Regarding my newly-illumined blog, I must point out: many of the answers are online already. When my wife suggested that I write about the feasts of the Church on Fridays (Festal Fridays), I promptly consulted the OCA (Orthodox Church in America) website. They tell me it’s Saint Leo the Great, the Pope of Rome's feast day. He was famous for his amazing education and the ways he used his learning to advance the mission of the Church. Apparently he was quite the peace-maker too: "In 452, by the persuasive power of his words, he stopped Attila the Hun from pillaging Italy." Dang.


Every single day of the year is the celebration of the work of a saint (or many saints). Every rising of the sun is a mini-Pascha, and Christ is glorified in his saints.

No comments:

Post a Comment