Friday, March 4, 2011

Francis Chan should be Orthodox

Can anyone tell me why (at this particular moment) I feel way more inspired reading modern Protestant material about relationship with God than I do when I read modern Orthodox literature about relationship with God?


I mean, I just read Francis Chan's Forgotten God: Reversing Our Tragic Neglect of the Holy Spirit, and came up with a ton of practical ideas for developing my relationship with God.

The ideas are simple. The content is heart-convicting. And the cover is so well designed.

Where is this stuff in the current, AMERICAN Orthodox Church?

4 comments:

  1. Dude...that's a great book. I'm a big fan of Francis', I was even attending his church for a while before he left. He speaks what the Word of God says, and it isn't always comfortable or what makes us feel good. But it's truth, and it's convicting...I really appreciate that about him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. why should it matter if it's Protestant or Orthodox? it's okay to be inspired by people who follow Jesus, regardless of their denomination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Anonymous,

    I appreciate your comment. My intention with the title was to strike a tone of "Sigh. I wish that Francis was Orthodox..."

    Thinking about this post, I realized that (between the lines) I was ranting on two other topics between the lines: 1) I want the Orthodox Church to be more culturally engaged with the American people. 2) I was intrigued by the was Francis got so close to Orthodox worldview at numerous points in his book. I suppose this should be another post, and should be more discussion-based.

    I'm all ABOUT working for Jesus, no matter what brand of Christianity you subscribe to. We all need to work for Jesus.

    Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's refreshing to see other converts out there struggling through the same exact ideas.

    ReplyDelete