Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Stories People Tell

Today, I was shocked when the head carpenter of the theater gig I was working (who I didn't know) walked up to me and said:

"Hey, you're that guy that got knocked out by a pimp last year, huh?"

"Ummmmm.....ya?"

He says, "That's crazy man." He shakes my hand. "You know, I really appreciate what you did, standing up for that woman like that, but I hope you learned your lesson. Geez. I can't believe you're not dead."

"Ya me neither," I reply. Pause, pause. "How did you find out about that?"

"Ah, you know. People tell stories. Word gets around."

The fact that this story 'got around' was shocking to me. I mean, what do people care that I put myself out there for someone I didn't know? I thought: that is the power of the actions of the Church's saints (not in any way that I'm one). They did things that brought on persecution, and they did it for justice, for Christ, and people paid attention. That made me think:

What action in my life since that moment of pimp-confrontation has been so extremely put-yourself-out-there-for-others that people would talk about it? Would know me by it? Hmmm. A sober line of questioning, but one that inspires me to action.

No comments:

Post a Comment